A brief history
marl chemical park
The history of the Marl Chemical Part began with the establishment of Chemische Werke Hüls GmbH on May 9, 1938. The enterprise had been founded for the production of the synthetic rubber material Buna.
After production bans and dismantling during and after World War II, the plant developed into a world-renowned company during the "economic miracle" with new production lines, under the management of VEBA AG since 1979. After 1985, the company, which was now doing business as Hüls AG, decided to move out of heavy and basic materials in favor of focusing on specialty chemicals. Following its reorganization to form a strategic chemicals holding, Hüls AG and Degussa AG merged in 1999 to become Degussa-Hüls AG.
In early 2001, the merger of Degussa-Hüls AG and SKW Trostberg AG resulted in the new Degussa AG, the third largest chemical company in Germany.
In February 2003, the Essen-based RAG AG increased its share of the Degussa shares to 50.1%. RAG fully acquired all Degussa shares in May 2006.
The name RAG today is used by the German coal industry, while the business areas of chemicals, energy and real estate were combined into the new Evonik Industries Group in September 2007. Evonik changed its course in 2009 and today exclusively focuses on specialty chemicals.
Based on this realignment and on internal restructuring, the formerly monolithic site in Marl evolved into a chemical park. In addition to Evonik, its subsidiaries and holdings, the park is now home to 12 other companies.